Mold and your Health

Mold is part of the natural environment. Outdoors, mold plays an important part in nature by breaking down dead organic matters such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided.

The spores are invisible to the naked eye. There are many types of mold, but none of them will grow without moisture. 

Mold spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. There are molds that can grow on wood, drywall, paper, carpet, clothes, foods and more. When moisture or water accumulates indoors, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed.

Exposure to mold is not healthy for anyone; however mold does pose a greater threat for the following individuals: Infants, children, expectant mothers, the elderly and patients with a weakened immune and respiratory system. When inhaled mold can cause or escalate a wide range of health problems: unexplained headaches, chronic fatigue, dry cough, eyes, nose throat and skin irritation, memory loss, impotence, shortness of breath, wheezing and more. Consult your physician immediately if you, your children or any member of your family exhibit any of said symptoms to ascertain the exact cause. Before purchasing or renting a home or apartment. Today there are lots of unoccupied foreclosed homes, sitting for months without electricity so any water intrusion can create a mold problem. Some unscrupulous sellers and landlords will paint over mold, only to have it return a few weeks after you move in.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *